[Bf-committers] Propose to reduce default feature set (*nix dev builds)

AIBlender aiblender at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:05:51 CET 2014

On 13/11/14 11:31, Campbell Barton wrote:
> This is mainly for Linux/BSD developers (releases remain unchanged).
>
> Its getting increasingly difficult to build Blender on Linux, (LLVM,
> ffmpeg, OpenCollada...) & these issue's can't always be fixed on our
> side.
>
> With newer developers a failed build with a cryptic error message
> (guys in #blendercoders can't even help with), is quite off putting..
>
> Proposing a limited feature-set by default with CMake (again official
> builds from blender.org are unchanged)
>
> https://developer.blender.org/T42569

Hi,

This is a bad idea, the whole point on dev builds is for us to spot
problems, if you start turning off features just so things can compile
that is sweeping issues under the carpet.  If it's getting hard to build
that means you need to work on build instructions/build system.  And if
its an upstream issue, communication needs to go upstream.  Being
demotivated if not a reason to start turning off fundamental features.

After all ffmpeg and opencollada would not really be seen as option
features (by a lot of people), and the same can be said of llvm, and
they certainly are not optional when we need to spot bug/issues.  I mean
what is next stop supporting Linux because its harder to build.  Well
you could just as easily make that argument for the entire windows build
system.  It's more often than not the one with problems, so we should
obviously throw it in the canal yes? Obviously that would not be done.

*marches off all huffy like*

Terry Wallwork