[Bf-committers] Propose to reduce default feature set (*nix dev builds)

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:39:20 CET 2014

The thing is, it's just a proposal to change default behavior, which would
be something inbetween of current feature-full make and `make light` (which
already exists and cuts everything possible).

For experienced developers it doesn't matter to use `make release` instead
of `make` (they're wrapping all this steps into a script most of the time
anyway). For new developers just be able to type `make` and have working
blender without need to struggle with weirdo dependencies is what's this
proposal is about.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM, AIBlender <aiblender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/11/14 11:31, Campbell Barton wrote:
> > This is mainly for Linux/BSD developers (releases remain unchanged).
> >
> > Its getting increasingly difficult to build Blender on Linux, (LLVM,
> > ffmpeg, OpenCollada...) & these issue's can't always be fixed on our
> > side.
> >
> > With newer developers a failed build with a cryptic error message
> > (guys in #blendercoders can't even help with), is quite off putting..
> >
> > Proposing a limited feature-set by default with CMake (again official
> > builds from blender.org are unchanged)
> >
> > https://developer.blender.org/T42569
> >

> Hi,
>
> This is a bad idea, the whole point on dev builds is for us to spot
> problems, if you start turning off features just so things can compile
> that is sweeping issues under the carpet.  If it's getting hard to build
> that means you need to work on build instructions/build system.  And if
> its an upstream issue, communication needs to go upstream.  Being
> demotivated if not a reason to start turning off fundamental features.
>
> After all ffmpeg and opencollada would not really be seen as option
> features (by a lot of people), and the same can be said of llvm, and
> they certainly are not optional when we need to spot bug/issues.  I mean
> what is next stop supporting Linux because its harder to build.  Well
> you could just as easily make that argument for the entire windows build
> system.  It's more often than not the one with problems, so we should
> obviously throw it in the canal yes? Obviously that would not be done.
>
> *marches off all huffy like*
>
> Terry Wallwork

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin