[Bf-committers] SVN revision 59642: don' t show screen-space-line start/end points in operator redo panel

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun May 25 15:24:11 CEST 2014

Mouse coordinates are useful for quick and rough specification of a
line/rectangle by clicking two points in the view port. In some cases
roughly specified geometry is sufficient, while additional tuning of the
specified line/rectangle by manual editing of the coordinates is desirable.

For instance try to define a render border of 500-by-500 pixels. Mouse
operation comes in handy for roughly defining the border of that size,
but precisely doing so is hard without manual parameter tweaks.

When defining a diagonal line, specifying a start point by a mouse click
may be difficult and time to time you might want to slightly move the
start point after you finish specifying the end point.

I think the difficulty with mouse-based geometry specification is partly
due to the lack of real-time feedback of the screen-space mouse
coordinates (let me know if I am missing an existing functionality).
Even with such a feedback, manual refinement after the initial
line/rectangle definition still comes in handy (no so often but)
certainly in some cases. Plus, I guess the screen-space coordinate
parameters showing up in the redo operation panel wouldn't appear
bothering anyway.

Best regards,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>

On 25/05/2014 19:50, Campbell Barton wrote:
> These tools depend on view-port and mouse coordinates. They are only
> meant to be accessed interactively.
>
> Why do you want to access this?
>
> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 4:25 AM, Paolo Acampora <palucam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm interested in this too as I find those parameters to be useful. Is
>> there any hope to bring 'em back?
>> Il giorno 17/mag/2014 18:23, "Tamito KAJIYAMA" <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>
>> ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I talked with a Blender artist who misses the X/Y Start/End parameters
>>> of the Weight Gradient operator [1] that are no longer available in the
>>> operator redo panel in Blender 2.69 and later. According to the Blender
>>> revision history, these parameters have been marked as hidden since SVN
>>> revision 59642 [2]. By the same commit, screen coordinate parameters of
>>> the Render Border operator (Ctrl-B) do not appear in the redo panel.
>>> What is the rationale of these functionality changes?
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Vertex_Groups/Weight_Paint_Tools
>>> [2]
>>> https://developer.blender.org/rB02773c7f28616fcccb1ca60d2125c32b9fa86ed8