[Bf-committers] Do drivers have to be blocked as python scripts?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 12:16:30 CEST 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Vilem Novak <pildanovak at post.cz> wrote:
> If I understand the outcome of this discussion right:
>
> Sandboxing of python in general isn't functional and is too complicated.
>
> After reading all of the possible solutions, there are 2 which I seem to be
> reasonable:
> 1.Do not render when some drivers in the scene/linked data can not be
> executed. (wow, how much of my time would that save...)

Something like this seems reasonable.

But I wouldn't attempt to make this specific to drivers or rendering.
- An input error maybe missing texture.
- An output error may be baking physics (or texures).

A tool like this should be configurable and usable for studios, errors
should be able to log to files, run a command or mail the
administrator.

See this thread for details:
http://markmail.org/message/2qyeqgf7pyhobdt7

> 2.do a primitive, very restrictive check of the expressions(vars, operators,
> math funcs.)

Rather not - this gives a false sense of security, adds a new
classification of driver to manage, more code to maintain (and more
bug reports when devs find holes in the checking tool).

Also its driver specific. What about other scripts which execute on
startup (Which may be needed for populating the driver name-space)?

> This could accompany a warning, that would show when the expression doesn't
> make it through this check -
> 'Driver won't execute with scripts disabled' - this would display even when
> scripts ARE enabled, because of the case of sending files to renderfarms or
> sharing them in any other way. I really expect this to be quite rare..
>
> Any of these 2 solutions would be satisfactory in production , I think...
>
> Not to fill the mail list with a long discussion, can I add this as a TODO
> topic somewhere in the wiki?
>  By the reaction, I assume this is a topic that really needs some
> solution...
>
> Regards
> Vilem

- Campbell