[Bf-committers] Do drivers have to be blocked as python scripts?

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Sun May 25 11:54:13 CEST 2014

If I understand the outcome of this discussion right:

Sandboxing of python in general isn't functional and is too complicated.

After reading all of the possible solutions, there are 2 which I seem to be
reasonable:
1.Do not render when some drivers in the scene/linked data can not be
executed. (wow, how much of my time would that save...)

2.do a primitive, very restrictive check of the expressions(vars, operators,
math funcs.)
This could accompany a warning, that would show when the expression doesn't
make it through this check -
'Driver won't execute with scripts disabled' - this would display even when
scripts ARE enabled, because of the case of sending files to renderfarms or
sharing them in any other way. I really expect this to be quite rare..

Any of these 2 solutions would be satisfactory in production , I think...

Not to fill the mail list with a long discussion, can I add this as a TODO
topic somewhere in the wiki?
 By the reaction, I assume this is a topic that really needs some
solution...

Regards
Vilem