[Bf-committers] Auto switch between ortho/persp

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:39:34 CEST 2014

Seems to me that 2 issues are getting conflated here.

- Is Auto-perspective a good default? (As agreed here:
https://developer.blender.org/T37518).

- Should auto-perspective option apply to view axis snapping (Alt
while orbiting the view).

The problem with axis snapping switching to ortho, is that axis
snapping snaps to the closest camera roll (as it should IMHO),
you could be looking along the Z axis down (What blender considers top
- Pad7), but with a different camera roll.

Currently Blender's viewports define axis-views (Top, Left, Front...
etc) with their roll.

If we switch to ortho automatic anyway (no matter if blender can call
it a Top view or not), orbiting out of this view _won't_ trigger the
logic that makes auto-perspective change to perspective view (you get
*stuck* in ortho mode).

We could...

- Change blenders behavior and support axis-views to have any axis
aligned orientation. (This could be good to support in any case)

- Change auto-perspective logic to switch to perspective mode even if
the view isn't named (Top, Left, Front... etc). Just detect this from
the view orientation instead.

However at this point I wonder if its worth having auto-perspective &
axis snapping, seems like it could be OK, but a bit complicated to
ensure it works in all cases.

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Paweł Łyczkowski
<pawellyczkowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also in favor of this option.
>
> The solution for an UI that is guessing wrong what you want is an option
> to turn on Auto-Orthographic in the Preferences, then the UI won't even
> have to guess. The description of the function could be "The view will
> change to Orthographic when using Alt-MMB view snap."
>
> For the argument that too much settings in the Preferences can be a bad
> thing - from what I observed, 3d users prefer customizability to having
> simple program Preferences, due to the impact of such tweaks as the one
> discussed on one's workflow.
>
> Regards
> Paweł Łyczkowski

>>  Hi,
>>
>>  IMHO auto-ortho or auto-persp are hacks. UIs should not try to think for
>>  users or anticipate on what you think might be expected. Keep things simple
>>  and atomic and in control. If that means you sometimes have to press an
>>  extra key that's at least predictable, and much less irritating than a UI
>>  that suddenly thinks you want something - whilst you didn't want it.
>>
>>  -Ton-

>>  Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute
>>  Entrepotdok 57A  -  1018AD Amsterdam  -  The Netherlands
>>

>>  On 6 May, 2014, at 21:51, Hadrien Brissaud wrote:
>>
>>  >  Hello all,
>>  >
>>  >  I have a small usability suggestion, but first of all I'd like to know
>>  >  where the best place for suggestions would be. It's not the first time I
>>  >  write to BF-committers and each time I feel like I'm a bit out of place.
>>  >  BF-funboard doesn't seem to get a lot of attention (understandably, not
>>  >  complaining here) and I heard developer.blender.org had a place for
>>  >  suggestions, which I couldn't find.
>>  >
>>  >  While I'm here though, I might as well write it ? It's pretty
>>  >  straightforward anyway :
>>  >  I'd like to suggest a "auto ortho" option in addition to the "auto
>>  >  perspective" one. What it would do is basically the opposite of "auto
>>  >  perspective", id est switch to ortho view when snapping to an axis with
>>  >  alt+MMB.
>>  >
>>  >  I know everyone is busy and this mailing list is for discussing commits
>>  so
>>  >  please redirect me to a more appropriate place for suggestions if there
>>  is
>>  >  one.
>>  >
>>  >  Good night,