[Bf-committers] Blender download > 100 MB

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:09:31 CEST 2014

On linux:

- Blender binary itself is 5meg larger. Not sure yet why, but new splash
seems unlikely to cause this. More likely new FFmpeg and some other libs
update lead to bigger size. Also AFAIR on linux binaries size is aligned to
some value. Meaning at some point increase of size of objective files by N
bytes could lead to binary size increase by K>N bytes.

- We're using new python now (py3.3 vs. py3.4) which is 3meg bigger on
linux.

- We've switched to new CUDA toolkit (5.0 vs. 6.0) and enabled one more gpu
arch. This bumped precompiled cuda binaries from 4.4 to almost 10meg on
linux.

- Testbuild and builds from buildbot includes contrib addons. They're not
included to the releases because they're not prooved to be stable enough
and they're currently around 10meg.

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It was expected to happen in the 2.7x series, but this is quite early
> though.
> The binary sizes (compressed) for all platforms increased with 10%
> compared to 2.70.
>
> Anyone has a clue what went on? Is it the larger icons and splash?
>
> -Ton-

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin