[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting - July 6, 2014

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jul 6 17:40:09 CEST 2014

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Projects for the 2.72 release

- Targets for the coming release:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Meeting agrees on moving to "BCon 2" now, which means we schedule 2-3 weeks for the selected targets to be merged in the official bf-blender git master.

- Note: Blurry tooltips on windows got solved, it was an issue with fonts.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.72/UI

- New freestyle feature, Cycles render! Tamito Kajiyama looks for testers.
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-npr/2014-July/000050.html

2) GSoC progress

- All students survived midterms.

- Meeting discussed for a while that communication is quite low in general, mentors and mentors could be more pro-active and visible as well. Suggested is to not communicate in private with students (when not needed) but do all mail exchanges about code work via our public lists.

- Also: make it a habit to commit often and regularly!

3) Other projects

- Campbell Barton and Francesco Siddi are almost done with the manual project (allowing to edit wiki locally with git checkouts).
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-docboard/2014-July/004512.html

- Ton Roosendaal confirms that Epic Games became a big sponsor for the Development Fund. Their main interest is in getting Blender to read/write FBX better. Bastien Montagne will look at writing out a good description for a project - so we can do a call for a developer.

- Alternative: get 3DMax or Maya to read/write .blend files! This can be using Bullet's MIT licensed .blend read/write module.

Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute