[Bf-committers] Saving and retreiving custom object properties

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Sun Feb 23 04:58:50 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to revisit an old addon I did and make it up-to-date, and in doing so I noticed something. While object properties are saved with the .blend, they are only accessable through a key, and no longer as a property of that object. Is this intended behaviour? If so, is there a reason for this? It seems a bit counter-intuitive imho. Here's an example of what I mean:

- Open Blender
- Enable addon
- Perform an addon function and set "someObject.prop = 5"
- Request "someObject.prop"
   - Returns 5
- Save .blend and close Blender
- Reopen, re-enable addon and request "someObject.prop"
   - Returns property not found error
- Request "someObject['prop']"
   - Returns 5

Cheers,