[Bf-committers] Import based on extension

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Tue Oct 15 19:36:14 CEST 2013

Unless I'm missing something, you could delay the loading of the mesh until you hit import, just as it is now.

I would imagine this working as:

- File > Import (opens file browser)
- Select Object.obj (left bar shows obj-specific options such as Smooth Groups)
- Select Object.dae (left bar shows Collada-specific options)
- Click "Import" (imports the mesh)

which would definitely be a huge improvement imho. If you're importing assets that aren't your own (i.e.: you just extracted a .zip from ModelsRUs.com), this would allow you to dive right into Blender and examine your options on the fly, rather than first diving into the folder in Finder/ Explorer, checking which files are model files and determining which of those you want/ are compatible with Blender.