[Bf-committers] Import based on extension

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 21:10:48 CEST 2013

Nope, your not missing anything - this can be done, just needs someone
to investigate a way to switch operators within the file-selector in a
way which isn't going to cause problems later on (if done badly - it
could really cause a mess IMHO).

(eg, the file selector could store any number of operator properties
and swap them out when the file format and operator changes - so you
don't loose all your settings by accidentally selecting a different
file type).

There also needs to be some registry of extension<->format mapping, so
addons can register themselves with an extension or possibly a file's
magic read from the header.

Its all do-able, just time and investigation to write up a patch.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM, patrick boelens <p_boelens at msn.com> wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, you could delay the loading of the mesh until you hit import, just as it is now.
>
> I would imagine this working as:
>
> - File > Import (opens file browser)
> - Select Object.obj (left bar shows obj-specific options such as Smooth Groups)
> - Select Object.dae (left bar shows Collada-specific options)
> - Click "Import" (imports the mesh)
>
> which would definitely be a huge improvement imho. If you're importing assets that aren't your own (i.e.: you just extracted a .zip from ModelsRUs.com), this would allow you to dive right into Blender and examine your options on the fly, rather than first diving into the folder in Finder/ Explorer, checking which files are model files and determining which of those you want/ are compatible with Blender.
>
>> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 18:02:11 +0200
>> From: albartus at home.nl
>> To: bf-committers at blender.org
>> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Import based on extension
>>

>> I am unsure how practical this workflow would be;
>>
>> Import an object using the 'default' import settings. Then have in the
>> toolshelf (on the left) the import options which a user can tweak.
>> (changing an option will cause the current imported to be removed and
>> re-import with the new settings.) This would mimic the way a new mesh,
>> say a circle, where the user can change the radius/vertices as long as
>> nothing has been edited.
>>
>> The problem becomes then that re-importing the mesh could take longer.
>> (maybe an apply button?) The advantage could be that instead of making
>> the selection up-front, it can be done after 'import'.
>>
>> I am unsure how practical (from a user's perspective) that would be
>> though. Maybe setting the import options on forehand is the best way to
>> go. It would be the first application to change import-settings after
>> import?
>> > This has come up before, and it can be done.
>> >
>> > The main thing to resolve is how to show operator options (some way to
>> > re-initialize different operator properties when selecting a file with
>> > a different extension).

- Campbell