[Bf-committers] Presets ...

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 11:59:07 CEST 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> 1.) Right now our preset labels are more or less limitted by what is
> allowed to use in the file system (for the preset name). BTW i tried to
> change a presetfilename so that the preset menu contains something like:
> "SL/OpenSim rigged" or "SL&OpenSim static", but all of that was
> impossible, so i ended up with "SL+OpenSim rigged" as a compromise.

Not impossible - this can be made to work,
See name.replace(...) - path.py:157, in function display_name(name)

> 2.) The Tooltip for a preset entry just doesn't tell anything but the
> obvious, namely: "Execute a Preset" This could be either removed
> completely or replaced by something more useful :)
>
> So what about adding 2 variables into the presetfile for "text" and
> "description" which would correspond to the Preset label and its tooltip ?
> And maybe blender can read the presetfiles once on startup (or when
> needed the first time), and remember text and description in a map. and
> when a preset changes the map gets updated ... something like this
> should be doable, no ?

For this to work we would need a way for operators to have dynamic
descriptions, or at least some way to override an operator description
in menus.

In this case Im not sure its worth the trouble. Setting a cloth preset
is fairly straightforward for eg, we could just omit the descriptions
for presets.

> -gaia-

- Campbell