[Bf-committers] Adding support for tetrahedron and hexahedron elements

Iman Brasseur iman.brasseur at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:51:14 CET 2013

Hi everybody,

I'm looking into adding support for volumetric elements in Blender. The
idea is to be able to create and export meshes for finite elements that
contain tetrahedral and hexahedral elements. To create such meshes one
could start for example with a single tetrahedron. Then when selecting a
triangular face, instead of extruding the triangle as a wedge-shaped new
surface, it would create a new tetrahedral element that shares 3 vertices
with the original tetrahedron.

Going through the source code, I thought I should start with bmesh_class.h
and add (next to the BMVert, BMEdge, BMFace) a new element type BMVol to
add the new volumetric element there. Does that seem like the right way to
start? Any quick hints to pieces of code I should look at would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Iman