[Bf-committers] Question about libcarve simplification function...

Alex Pilafian sikanrong at gmail.com
Wed May 29 15:56:05 CEST 2013

Hi all,

My name is Alex. My company is using the Carve library for several
different tasks (pertaining to 3d computational geometry) in our
application.

In this particular instance, we're trying to use
carve::mesh::MeshSimplifier#eliminateShortEdges to modify a meshSet that we
have. We pass it a pointer to our meshSet, and it seems to work, but then
when we compare numFaces and numVertices of the mesh in question before and
after the simplification, the numbers stay the same. We would expect them
to be less if a simplification had actually taken place.

The weirdest thing is that the output seems to indicate that the mesh
simplification is actually taking place (it gives a lot of output like
"*collapsing
edge 0x9ef1c12a"*). So it seems like things are genuinely working, but we
just can't get at the output, for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't have the problematic code on-hand
right now, but I'll try to post it to this thread later.