[Bf-committers] Leap Motion seeding to Blender developers & artists

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Wed May 8 20:16:01 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> https://www.leapmotion.com/
>
> I've contacted Leap Motion and they agreed to seed 10 units to Blender
> developers and/or actively involved users.
>
> I suggest we do 5 for devs at least, rest for people on this list who can
> contribute testing and feedback.
>
> Just reply on this message if you're interested, and a short sentence what
> you intend to do with it (code work or testing, and which OS). I then will
> select the 10 'winners', ask them for the shipping details and forward it
> to Leap Motion. They already seed units now btw, before the official launch
> end of July.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ton-

Hmmm... I applied to their developer program when it first came out stating
I was a (junior woodchuck) blender dev and... nothing.

A couple things I want to do with one of those:

1) figure out how to get it playing nicely with bpy since that seems to be
the most common question people who got one ask on BA.org.

2) see if it's possible to hack on it at a low enough level to use it as a
3d scanner input for one of the various FLOSS 3d reconstruction libs.

and maybe (I suspect someone might already be working on this):

3) research GHOST integration on the level of 3Dconnexion et al.

The last one would probably be quite the undertaking since AFAICT it would
need some serious (3d) multi-touch support to translate the input data into
usable blender events although I'm really just guessing at this point.

Oh, I'm on Fedora and totally failed the 'short sentence' requirement ;)

Dan