[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting minutes - March 24 2013

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Mar 25 00:56:37 CET 2013

Hi,

> > - Freestyle: more reviews were done, and all handled by Tamito Kajiyama.
> >    Should be feasible for final merger this week! Tomorrow we'll do final checks.
>
> The new implementation of face/edge marks and the migration code in
> readfile.c still doesn't work (unfinished yet)...
> Though the migration code will be removed when the branch merger is
> done, how can Freestyle branch users convert older blend files?

The migration code is working properly as far as I have tested it.

Even though the migration code does not go into the trunk, it will stay in
the branch at least within a certain range of revisions (actually I don't see
any reason not to keep it in the branch code base).   Branch users can do
data conversions any time using a Freestyle branch build with the migration
code in it.

For what concerns the CustomData-based implementation of edge/face marks,
the idea is to get approval first and then finish the rest of the implementaiton,
just to avoid a waste of coding time.  As soon as the present proof-of-concept
implementation gets approved by core developers, I will work on unfinished
parts.

> BTW, an UI glitch I pointed out in the code review is not fixed yet.

I have replied to your review comment concerning the UI issue.  Let me quote
the comment and my reply here:

https://codereview.appspot.com/7416049/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/space_view3d.py#newcode2508

> irieshinsuke 2013/03/21 12:39:58
>
> Horizontally split row is too narrow to display labels "Freestyle Edge Marks"
> and "Freestyle Face Marks", so both of them are truncated to "Freestyle". I
> think "col = layout.column()" should be inserted here to avoid this glitch.
>
> me 2013/03/23 22:46:08
>
> I am not fully sure if this change should be made. Any UI label will be
> truncated when the panel width is narrower than the label width. The Freestyle
> Edge/Face Mark labels in question can be completely shown if the panel is
> widen. Brecht told me that UI controls should be organized in two columns in
> general, and the Overlays section exactly follows this rule. I tend to be
> reluctant to violate it here.

I am fully open to any decision in this regard and will do whatever required
as long as this issue is a merger stopper.

With best regards,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>

> - Freestyle: more reviews were done, and all handled by Tamito Kajiyama.
>    Should be feasible for final merger this week! Tomorrow we'll do final checks.

The new implementation of face/edge marks and the migration code in
readfile.c still doesn't work (unfinished yet)...
Though the migration code will be removed when the branch merger is
done, how can Freestyle branch users convert older blend files?

BTW, an UI glitch I pointed out in the code review is not fixed yet.

IRIE Shinsuke