[Bf-committers] OpenCollada versions and the Blender build

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 15:53:04 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have looked up the OpenCollada libraries in Blender's lib folder.
> I found libraries for Windows and Darwin.
> And i was told that OpenCollada has no reference releases.
> Currently following versions of the OpenCollada libraries
> are available in the lib:
>
> svn 768 + 1 patch lib/darwin-8.0.0-powerpc/opencollada/
> svn 768 + 1 patch      lib/darwin-8.x.i386/opencollada/
> svn 768 + 4 patches(*) lib/darwin-9.x.universal/opencollada/
>
> svn 839 + 1 patch      lib/mingw32/opencollada/
> svn 869 + 1 patch      lib/mingw64/opencollada/
> svn 839 no patch       lib/win64/opencollada/
> svn ??? patched?       lib/win64/opencollada/vc2010/
> svn 839 no patch       lib/win32/opencollada/
> svn ??? patched?       lib/win32/opencollada/vc2010/
>
> (*)I found 1 patch for Collada svn 768 and 3 patches for Collada svn 839
>
> I believe it would be more convenient to exactly know which
> version of OpenCollada is used in which version of Blender.
> And i think that using the same version of OpenCollada in all Blender
> builds would be desirable.
>
> I had the idea to simply take a reference copy of the OpenCollada
> sources into the blender lib folder and then always build from that
> reference
> point. And add an optional switch into the blender build system that
> would allow to BUILD_COLLADA_LIBS
>
> I am not sure if that is feasible. But i have no better idea except
> keeping it all as it is, which sounds even worse to me.
>
> cheers,
> Gaia

Committing sources projects in 'lib/' overkill IMHO, if building from
a specific version with patches applied is too much hassle we should
have a fork of opencollada and manage patches there.
This works for us with OpenShadingLanguage.
- To be clear Im not suggesting we fork OpenCollada project, just do
this as a way to make sure everyone builds from same repo with same
patches applied.