[Bf-committers] Suggestion: Drop zip archives (Windows releases)

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 17:16:37 CET 2013

Thomas,

You talked about the pros and cons of the *formats* but not of the
pros and cons of your proposal.  What maintenance is really involved
in taking a folder of files and compressing it into two archives versus
one?

The "pros" include more choice and much more convenience for the
user.  The "cons" include 5 seconds more time involved in a batch process
creating two archives, and 50 megabytes of storage on the server per
release.

I'd say if you really have to drop one of the two archive types for
Windows then drop 7z and keep the zip - the one that is *integrated into
the operating system*.

It is true that you only use one archive format for Mac, but that format is
zip. All arguments about 7z being better than zip would apply there too but
I doubt anyone would consider changing all archives for all OSs to 7z.

Harley

Anyway, I don't think we should keep 3x different types of binaries (*2