[Bf-committers] Suggestion: Drop zip archives (Windows releases)

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sat Mar 9 17:58:05 CET 2013

It's stupid to have 3 binaries for Windows (*2) and building etc is not
really a batch process for me. ;)

We have the installer (.exe) for convenience and that is probably the
format that is used by most people. This will stay.
For the archives though I'd like a change.

1) Only provide 7z
2) Provide an auto extract .exe (7z compression inside a .exe)
3) Only provide zip

But imho 3) is the most stupid thing, and the only reason 3) has one pro
argument is that stupid windows does not know any other format than zip.

Thomas

Am 09.03.2013 17:16, schrieb Harley Acheson:
> Thomas,
>
> You talked about the pros and cons of the *formats* but not of the
> pros and cons of your proposal.  What maintenance is really involved
> in taking a folder of files and compressing it into two archives versus
> one?
>
> The "pros" include more choice and much more convenience for the
> user.  The "cons" include 5 seconds more time involved in a batch process
> creating two archives, and 50 megabytes of storage on the server per
> release.
>
> I'd say if you really have to drop one of the two archive types for
> Windows then drop 7z and keep the zip - the one that is *integrated into
> the operating system*.
>
> It is true that you only use one archive format for Mac, but that format is
> zip. All arguments about 7z being better than zip would apply there too but
> I doubt anyone would consider changing all archives for all OSs to 7z.
>
> Harley
>

> Anyway, I don't think we should keep 3x different types of binaries (*2
>> for the architecture) for Windows, as for Mac and Linux we also only
>> provide one for each bitness.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas

Thomas Dinges