[Bf-committers] wiki-dust

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 15:37:55 CEST 2013

> I noticed 2 annoyances with the Wiki User manual:
>
> 1.) When i open any page of the user manual...
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual
>
> Then i get greated with a big "Please don't edit 2.6 manual pages".
> And i remember last time i asked in IRC about 9 months ago,
> i was told to be patient for a few weeks until the reorganisation
> of the wiki has taken place...

Those notifications were placed many moons ago in an attempt to make the
pages more consistent (adhere to style/structure etc).  Through discussions
on bf-docboard we decided to instead beef up the writer's guide and style
guide available here:  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page

We also encourage new contribs to join bf-docboard to notify intentions to
do any major edits (to avoid duplicate efforts) and to request reviews of
in-place edits (for first contributions) or user-space edits (for major
overhauls).

I don't see this on every page.  In fact I only see it on the Top Level
intro page though i only looked at a few.
For example, it's not here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Interface/Keyboard_and_Mouse
My guess is that some pages marked on the meta-wiki as needing fixing are
having that message auto-stuffed into them.

I will cross-post this to bf-docboard and see who had the "keys" to run a
script.  Using the meta-review page you linked, we can place a warning
similar to wikipedia's that "this page might not meet wiki standards.
Please refer to the wiki-writer's guide and style guide to help improve
it."

Ok, so i have decided to stop waiting, ignore the message and
> started to update documents (which happen to not been
> touched since 2011, so what)

Yes.  Please do.

> 2.) When i navigate in the left navigation bar ...
>
> and then select a page, the navigation bar collapses and i have
> to open all sublevels again to find the follow up page.
>
> Now why doesn't the left navigation bar keep its state ? And if
> that can not be done for technical reasons (which i doubt actually)
> then why don't we have at least a "previous/next page" link on
> each page ? And if that can not be done as well (which i doubt
> as well) then..., well then i don't know.
>
> I can live with the "Please don't help us improving the wiki"
> message on top of each page. But Please please please...
> Fix the navigation at least !!!
>
> -gaia-
>
> --

I've noticed this too.  Again, i'll cross post this task to the bf-docboard
and see if we can get it cleaned up.  I'd also like to get the basic
functionality of properly wrapping text lines on mobile devices fixed
asap.  Currently you read one paragraph all in a single line and then have
to scroll back for 30 s to get to the start of the next paragraph.

kesten