[Bf-committers] wiki-dust

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Tue Jun 25 16:22:15 CEST 2013

On 25.06.2013 15:37, Kesten Broughton wrote:
>> I noticed 2 annoyances with the Wiki User manual:
>>
>> 1.) When i open any page of the user manual...
>>
>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual
>>
>> Then i get greated with a big "Please don't edit 2.6 manual pages".
>> And i remember last time i asked in IRC about 9 months ago,
>> i was told to be patient for a few weeks until the reorganisation
>> of the wiki has taken place...

I was not exact here (maybe i was a bit exagerated ;) Actually you are
right,
its only mentioned on the main manual page. However as soon as you edit
a page, you get:

"Please don't edit this page directly unless it's a typo or another
minor error:
  to contribute to this Manual, please read these guidelines
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Guides/Writer_Guide#Official_Manual_Review_Workflow>.
"

Maybe rephrase that to something like:

"Please please read these guidelines
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Guides/Writer_Guide#Official_Manual_Review_Workflow>
before you contribute to this Manual.
However fixing typos or other minor errors on the fly is OK"

> Those notifications were placed many moons ago in an attempt to make the
> pages more consistent (adhere to style/structure etc).  Through discussions
> on bf-docboard we decided to instead beef up the writer's guide and style
> guide available here:  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> We also encourage new contribs to join bf-docboard to notify intentions to
> do any major edits (to avoid duplicate efforts) and to request reviews of
> in-place edits (for first contributions) or user-space edits (for major
> overhauls).
Maybe just remove the "warning" on the entry page ? Isn't it enough to
see the advise
to first read the docs before editing, when a user decides to contribute
to a page ?
>> 2.) When i navigate in the left navigation bar ...
>>
>> and then select a page, the navigation bar collapses and i have
>> to open all sublevels again to find the follow up page.
> I've noticed this too.  Again, i'll cross post this task to the bf-docboard
> and see if we can get it cleaned up.

The problem seems to be caused when i switch between being logged in and
logged off
from the Wiki. So i can fix the behaviour as follows:

- delete all cookies
- log in to the wiki
- start navigating ... now the navigation works
... after work is done ...
- log off from the wiki (navigation broken)
- delete cookies
- now the navigation works again

Maybe that helps to fix it without need to do the cookie tricks :)

Thanks for taking care !!!
-gaia-