[Bf-committers] Linux package maintainers

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Wed Jan 2 21:26:14 CET 2013

The arch people do make a valid point, it really isn't that hard to produce
a tarball when doing the 'release ahoy' announcement.

I asked about this before (on the IRC maybe?), why not just do a svn export
and have everyone build from that instead of using specific svn
tags/versions? Everyone's happy and it occasionally finds issues like
building blender outside a svn checkout was producing wonky version numbers
on the splash screen for a while there.

For most software I need to update for whatever reason I take the official
.spec file, bump the version numbers and build/install the package(s) but
the few times I tried that with the blender.spec it didn't work out so
well. Since blender updates deps a lot faster than distros this happens
more often than you'd think.

So I'd like to propose that producing a source tarball become an official
part of the release process.

As an aside, it would probably help to 'spread the love' if packagers
*cough*fedora*cough* didn't complain when you file bug reports against
their packages.

Dan