[Bf-committers] Linux package maintainers

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 2 20:09:14 CET 2013

On Thu, January 3, 2013 5:49 am, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Best commitments are by stakeholders, working on what's in their interest
> too :)
> I'm not capable of advising or coordinating that.

My interest is seeing Blender continue to make progress in a Linux
environment.

The arch and gento package maintainers clearly don't see the value of
having bundled libs but IMO it makes things a lot easier for people who
don't rely on the distro package maintainers for their updates or people
who are not able to keep pace with the latest package updates for whatever
reason. For example people who don't have broadband internet or people who
are running legacy systems and cannot update to newer distro versions.

I doubt there is an easy way to disable bundled libs if compiling for a
distro/from source but that seems like the only way to deal with this
problem short of making sure that every one who compiles Blender has
exactly the same libs installed on their system before they attempt to
compile.

Part of the reason for bundling libs is to minimise the hassle for the end
user. Package maintainers should understand that concept.

> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
> Blender Institute   Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam   The Netherlands
>
> On 2 Jan, 2013, at 19:27, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>> On Thu, January 3, 2013 5:04 am, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In the past weeks I've noticed Linux package maintainers getting
>>> annoyed
>>> with Blender.
>>>
>>> Archlinux - check the comments:
>>> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/blender
>>>
>>> Gentoo rant:
>>> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2012/12/bloody-upstream
>>>
>>> We're not a typical (nor by origin) Linux project, getting sources
>>> built
>>> and distributed for Linux distros is not a priority among our active
>>> contributors.
>>>
>>> However, I'd like to see if there's people on this list who like to
>>> help
>>> out keeping things smooth for Linux distros? Also on Ubuntu Software
>>> Center Blender's way behind usually...
>>>

>> What kind of commitment are you looking for?
>>

>> --
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd

Patrick Shirkey