[Bf-committers] Gooseberry VCS?

Manuel Rais manu at g-lul.com
Tue Dec 3 10:01:53 CET 2013

Hi there !

This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself quickly.
My name is Manu and i use blender since 2006 now (I began to work in
2000 as a compositor). The community is great, and since I use it,
Blender is becoming more and more powerful, more professional (now in
the companies I use to work, they don't ignore Blender anymore, they
watch it closely... really...).
I'm a lighting/compositing supervisor, TD (including pipeline...),
developer and i've supervised the lighting and compositing of Babioles
directed by Mathieu Auvray (a good friend of mine actually)... I've also
managed other animation TV shows, feature films...
As discussed with Mathieu, I'm going to be a part of the french team for
the Gooseberry Project and i'm very happy !

So, I guess the right way to create a new VCS for blender is to manage
also binary files.
I use svn since many years now for my development projects (production
tracking system, blender addons...) and it works very well with text
files but unfortunately binary files are always committed entirely AFAIK...

Finding a solution only for blend files (such as save as a readable text
file which is a good idea i think, for pipeliners, many other softwares
have this functionality) is not sufficient. How about all the others
binaries like images, point cache etc... ?
I didn't worked on any open movies, so i don't know which files were
committed (only blends ? Images ?).

The diff tool is the right answer i guess but I really don't know if
it's hard to develop, if it's possible... I've heard about a famous FX
company in London who work(ed) on such a version control system, but so
far I don't know if they use it or even if it's working.

A little off topic : I think there are many cases where a VCS has
"issues" in a feature film production (such as : how do you manage
modifying an asset who broke half of the projects, without creating a
second asset file ?). A VCS is a very powerful tool but i think we have
to improve how we use it... Maybe I'll begin a topic about that this week...

Manu
manu at g-lul.com