[Bf-committers] Getting Blender ready for 10-Bit video

Prashant Sohani prashant.sohani at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 14:24:21 CEST 2013

We are moving from 8-bit to 10-bit video? I am curious.. is the human eye
really even capable of detecting such a fine colour resolution? I mean
sure, a mere photon may be enough to generate a signal; but that is not the
same as actually being able to recognize the colour difference during video
playback, say. For instance, I guess in current RGB videos we can randomly
tamper with the least significant bit of each 8-bit channel, and notice no
quality change whatsoever.

Though of course, computer vision can probably do a lot with the higher
colour depth that we cannot.