[Bf-committers] Getting Blender ready for 10-Bit video

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 8 14:49:43 CEST 2013

No, we are not “moving from 8-bit to 10-bit video”, it’s just a matter
of being able to open and benefit of the higher color-definition of
10-bit (and maybe even more…) video shots provided by some cameras.

Provided you have the screen able to render it, yes, you will be able to
distinguish between 8- and 10-bit colors (actually, 24- and 30-bit), on
certain circumstances, like very subtle gradations. But the 10-bits are
not primarily  done for end use, it’s rather that they allow you more
work on the footage (like color correction, effects, etc.), without
loosing too much in quality for the final result.

The same goes with SLR, where 12-bit (or even 16-bit, afaik) sampling is
quite common for the RAW data.