[Bf-committers] Does Cycles waste half it's possible performance or am i wrong?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 27 23:16:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm curios why i never see fireflies in cycles that affect more then one
pixel. I have chosen to speak about fireflies, because they are the most
unique sample that one could observe. It doesn't matter if set the
gaussian filter to 1.5 or 10. The fireflies, no matter how strong they
are, only cover one pixel. I see no distribution to other pixels of the
film. If I'm not mistaken then i should see this sample contributing to
at least four pixels (except the sample is perfectly centred and
gaussian is 1.0).

So I'm wondering why this samples do not contribute to neighbour pixels.
If they would, then it would expect a significant noise reduction.
(about half the samples for same result)

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte