[Bf-committers] Why do we need two font files?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:02:45 CEST 2012

Unicode font fails dramatically on some mix of Intel hardware and drivers
versions -- blender will be starting up in like 1min. If you'll replace
default font with unicode one users of such configuration wouldn't have
chance to work in blender comfortable.

What would make sense IMO -- bringing back ability to choose custom font
for the interface. In this case think we could stop re-generating unicode
font.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering why do we keep two different fonts for Blender UI?
> Currently, we have one (embeded into Blender binary, bfont.tff) used for
> "non-i18n UI", and another one, much more unicode-complete and heavy
> (5Mo, mostly due to ideograms chars), gzip-compressed and loaded at
> runtime when needed (droidsans.ttf.gz)…
>
> I can understand that size may be a problem, but honnestly, as we anyway
> include both fonts in distrib, I do not see the problem to directly
> embed the unicode version in Blender binary. It would also allow to have
> filenames always show correctly even without translated UI (right now,
> chinese file names e.g. show as “boxes” by default…).
>
> Further more, every time we need to add a char to one of them, editing
> fonts is a pita, as we have to keep them exactly same-looking in the UI
> (and editing tends to generate small shifts, which look strange when
> switching between translated and untranslated UI (in English language),
> and are tedious to get rid of :/).
>
> So why not replace current bfont.ttf by the much more unicode-complete one?
>
> Kind regards,
> Bastien

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin