[Bf-committers] Compositing View Port Proposal

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Wed Mar 28 19:48:23 CEST 2012

Part of the code cleanup could involve porting the widget drawing code
to openVG http://www.khronos.org/openvg/ (accelerated 2d drawing with
software fallback or an external pure opengl wrapper lib like shviavg)
which the mesa gallium drivers now support in the newest release. This
would also make it easier to port to other platforms like android (or
my poor little netbook) which need all the help they can get with
their limited gfx cards.

An added benefit would be that google put a bunch of work into this
for intel cards for tablets and whatnot (which my netbook just happens
to contain, yay) so it would be a more 'google friendly' project than
your usual gsoc by shaking out driver bugs and such.

It also kind of sounds like this would give you the structure you're
wanting without having to come up with a new sub-language for blender
drawing code.

I did some initial tests with my python wrapper around shivagv in the
3d view port and it (mostly...grr, bugs) worked as expected. Once FC17
comes out I plan on fully testing the mesa hardware implementation but
have to wait since I'm way too chicken to upgrade my mesa libs to the
newest on an older fedora release.

Dan