[Bf-committers] Cycles relation between displacement and geometry coordinates

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:58:19 CET 2012

In Cycles the material has a displacement output which accepts a value.
But what is the relation between this value and the "actual height"
compared to the geometry?

I mean if i connect texture with values from 0.0 to 1.0 to this output,
is it interpreted as a height difference of 1BE in Worldspace? I think
the difference is much lower, but I don't know how the value is interpreted.

Currently, I'm working on some fancy stuff and I need to compute the
derivative of a bump map to make it work (same texture twice, one with
derivative offset, subtracted from each other, ...). But without knowing
the relation between the simulated/rendered height and the actual space
it's just measuring over the thumb.

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte