[Bf-committers] Cycles shader interaction

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:42:31 CET 2012

Just some thoughts. If they aren't any good, omit them, since i may be
wrong in my assumptions or not entirely correct.

I could imagine two points in the pipeline which could be relatively
easy expanded to do some more fancy stuff.

The first point would the the transmission to the film. The color (if we
might call it that way) of the result of a sample could be adjusted like
inside the ramp functions for diffuse and specular inside BI, before
combining it with the film itself. That way you could create materials
that are seen differently as they are influencing their environment.
This is partially possible with the help of the "Light Path" Node, but
very limited at the same time.

It would allow some kind of postprocessing coupled on the material
itself. That way you would not need masking or indexing and a quickly
complex getting compositing setup. A simple use case that comes to my
mind would be toon shading.

The second point would be the addition of the following inputs. The
first input would deliver the angle between the surface and the current
light ray (or even better both vectors), the second input the
intensity/color of the light from this ray. That way the shader would
have a great control on how light affects the surface and vice versa.

It would allow unrealistic materials. For example a material that is
basically diffuse, but becomes glossy for high light intensities. It
could shift it's color based on the angle and so on.

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte