[Bf-committers] Cycles shader interaction

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Mar 21 14:14:19 CET 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Tobias Oelgarte
<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I could imagine two points in the pipeline which could be relatively
> easy expanded to do some more fancy stuff.
>
> The first point would the the transmission to the film. The color (if we
> might call it that way) of the result of a sample could be adjusted like
> inside the ramp functions for diffuse and specular inside BI, before
> combining it with the film itself. That way you could create materials
> that are seen differently as they are influencing their environment.
> This is partially possible with the help of the "Light Path" Node, but
> very limited at the same time.
>
> It would allow some kind of postprocessing coupled on the material
> itself. That way you would not need masking or indexing and a quickly
> complex getting compositing setup. A simple use case that comes to my
> mind would be toon shading.

I don't think this would work as you might expect. Each individual
sample may be very different from the final averaged color, and in
fact depends on the particular sampling algorithm used. If for example
we can add an optimization which means we can use a single sample with
value 0.5, instead of two samples with value 0.0 and 1.0, a
modification to these values would have quite different results.

> The second point would be the addition of the following inputs. The
> first input would deliver the angle between the surface and the current
> light ray (or even better both vectors), the second input the
> intensity/color of the light from this ray. That way the shader would
> have a great control on how light affects the surface and vice versa.
>
> It would allow unrealistic materials. For example a material that is
> basically diffuse, but becomes glossy for high light intensities. It
> could shift it's color based on the angle and so on.

The shader is executed before lighting is evaluated, there is no light
vector available at that time. For multiple importance sampling, or
just generally GI bounces, the result of the shader is used to do
sampling to find a direction to send a ray in, which may or may not
hit a light after one or more bounces. The idea that there is a light
vector available works well for direct lighting from lamps, but once
you get to indirect lighting it doesn't fit anymore.

This is quite different than Renderman and inspired by OSL design
which can be used successfully in production. I understand this has
limitations, there's a balance to find here between more user control
in the shader and a design where global illumination or more
intelligent sampling algorithm fit naturally without the user having
to care about them, and I believe the latter is the right choice for
this type of render engine.

Brecht.