[Bf-committers] About COLLADA item sort order

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Wed Mar 7 15:08:48 CET 2012

Hi.

I want to make a proposal to provide a specific sort order for "geometry
nodes"
and "material nodes" in the exported dae files. It would also be of
value if the
user had a certain (indirect) influence on that sort order. So my idea
was to
provide an alphabetic order by item names for items on the same
parent/child
hierarchy level..)

The main reason for this proposal is a Jira entry from Second Life:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28436?

Unfortunately that link is secured and i do not think that i am allowed to
publish its content.

Anyways the main issue is that the second life importer uses up to 5 dae
files with
different LOD levels and physics shapes for ONE single object. The
problem is that
geometry nodes (and also material nodes) must be given in the same order
in all
files. Sorting the nodes during export time would be an easy fix for
this issue.

I believe that this problem should be solved in the Second Life importer
in first
place. But maybe there are other reasons why supporting a sort order in the
Blender Collada exporter also makes sense...

cheers,
Gaia