[Bf-committers] Fedora 17 updated to OpenImageIO version 1.0.5 No longer links Blender

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:51:55 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Terry Wallwork
<terrywallwork at netscape.net> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Yes I am building Blender with Cmake, and yes I build Blender frequently
> to keep up to date with its progress, I never use the Fedora provided
> sources only ever Blender Trunk SVN. The older version of OIIO worked ok
> (before the Fedora rpm update).  I am not building my own version of
> OIIO from source am purely using the Fedora RPM binaries to give me that.

I would still recommend build using rpmbuild to create an RPM. It's
fairly trivial to update the spec file when you update the source and
you don't have to remember a bunch of cmake options or other tweaks.
Also, installing an RPM makes uninstall easier since RPM tracks the
files and library requirements. In fact I always build with rpmbuild
so I don't have to worry about installing stuff in /var/local , depend
on "make uninstall", and can easily manipulate where files get
installed. Also, rpmlint catches a lot of bad practices and issues.

If you're curious I can give you more details of my process. I can
also provide my source RPM to get you started.

> This is probably just as case of Blender not catching up with OIIO yet,
> so I posted just in case :)

Well I just rebuilt my blender, which is fairly recent although not
current SVN (48174) and it linked with oiio without issue...

> I will likely build an older version of OIIO to get Blender linking
> again and then wait for Blender to catch up (assuming that this is
> Blender's fault and not mine or OIIO)

Are you using the cmake options I posted previously? Obviously the
macros are not automatically expanded for you but just adjust them.
Also, you didn't post the configuration part of the build output. Did
you verify that cmake found oiio (or at least think it did)?

Richard