[Bf-committers] Masks are not only for Mattes

Guillermo Espertino (Gez) gespertino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:00:58 CEST 2012

El 05/06/12 14:58, Bassam Kurdali escribió:
> This is maybe a ridiculous suggestion: feel free to shoot it down:
>
> - we currently have one 3D editor. Here we do all our 3d tasks,
> modelling, animation, rigging, curves, meshes, etc. We can select and
> manipulate many different types of 3d objects, in different ways.
>
> -we can do *much less* things in 2d (blender is after all a 3d program).
> Yet we have multiple specialized windows for 2d editing: UV editor,
> movie clip editor. (arguably the sequence editor is some sort of 2d
> nla).
>
> So maybe, we are making 2d editing too compartmentalized; and we should
> have 1 2d editor where you can do any 2d tasks? or is this silly?
>
> I'm not actually pushing for this, it is only an observation/idea.

That's interesting! What about a "viewer window" that can fed with the
viewer from composite, the 3D viewport (from camera) or individual
footage? They could be used even as layers (for instance, the 3D view
from camera on top of a compositing viewer, or the composite over an
imported footage).
Having masks, tracking and node widgets on top of that would be
incredibly flexible.

It's also just an idea, but perhaps an idea that is worth to explore and
draft, at least to see if there are any significant issues.

Gez.