[Bf-committers] Collada-patch for testing

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Mon Jan 30 10:22:03 CET 2012

Hi, kanttori;

Your patch works fine for export. For import see remark 4.) below.

I first had some issues but it turned out that i made a mistake when i
disabled
our workaround code for the current Collada exporter.  After i fixed our
tools
and removed all these (ugly) workarounds all is well now.

Some remarks which may be of common interest regarding this patch:

1.) The exported .dae files from your patch also seem to be importing
well into Maya
while the current .dae exports from official Blender Collada fail
miserably on Maya.

2.) Your patch seems to make Blender trunk compatible with Blender-2.49b
We never had issues with .dae exported from 2.49b (neither for Maya nor
for Second Life)

3.) Therefore i also believe that the explicit mentioning of "Second
Life" in various
places in the patch is not necessary , because i believe it is not a
patch to make Collada
compatible to Second Life, but a major fix of something where possibly
Collada
standards do not tell explicitly how the export has to be done and
Blender does
it maybe correct but in a "not so lucky way".

4.) Blender itself can now import its own .dae files which seems to be a
major improvement,
but a first inspection shows that the bones are rotated by 90 degrees
after import, which
results in exactly(!) the same rig that we used as workaround for
getting exports to work
with the current Collada exporter ;)

Thanks for that great step towards a better Collada world :)

cheers,
Gaia