[Bf-committers] blender UI state

Gianmichele Mariani g.mariani at liquidnet.it
Fri Jan 20 09:19:47 CET 2012

I tend to agree, but removing too much information on startup is not good
either. Also let's face it, the default cube is somehow a symbol for
blender and honestly it's harmless.

Now we are all in some way accustomed to the convention of some 3d program
but do you remember the first time you opened it? Certainly max or maya
weren't less scary than blender when you first opened them.

I agree that there's a bit of clutter especially in the properties area,
but nothing so serious (cough cough max). Probably the best solution is to
add a link to an introduction to the interface, something like 5 mins where
it explains the few conventions Blender has, in the splash screen. It could
be tied to whatever interaction model (maya or blender) is chosen on first
start.

This is my analysis done at the time if you're interested

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17486466/BlenderUI.pdf

.Gian