[Bf-committers] blender UI state

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Fri Jan 20 08:51:59 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know I did the first time I tried blender. The next time I found a
> video by gray-beard called something like learning the user interface
> and then all was good.

I'd like Blender to be learnable without people having to go watch
tutorials. The process of flipping to and from tutorial videos all the time
is awfully disruptive. There's no reason it can't be more transparent.

Yes it is really odd at first but I think it has persisted so long
> because it is a much better system.

Sure, I believe you. I'm sure it is. I'm glad Blender is ahead of the curve
in introducing new paradigms like this. I hear a lot of users say they
enjoy Blender's right click select and that's great. Problem is, it
frustrates the hell out of most users who have no idea why the left click
doesn't select. It may be a better system but it's not one that any new
users will be familiar with. Therefore, the default should be left click
select.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com