[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Thu Jan 5 12:51:34 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 13:59 +0600, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
> I'm not so familiar with this format and not so fan of digging into it deep
> enough (wanted to concentrate on other things needed for mango and so). But
> if it's just guiding through blender architecture or communicating people
> together i can do that.

You can count me in on the people to guide. Collada is a key feature for
people who use Blender for creating Second Life content. We've just
released a commercial script for that which relies on Collada, so I've
assigned a portion of the income from the script to fund my time fixing
Collada bugs.

I'm not yet skilled enough to volunteer as maintainer, but I can
volunteer for bug fixing with a long term view to becoming maintainer.
So Sergey, if you are happy to act as advisor and code checker for my
patches, hopefully we can get the bug count down.

I've made a small test file for exporting a rigged mesh that shows 5
seperate bugs in round tripping a Collada export and I'm currently
working on fixing these - the first patch from this process is here:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29705&group_id=9&atid=127

Once these are fixed, I was going to see if the changes fixed any
current bugs (I suspect the armature strangeness ones could be affected)
and move on from there.

The bugs my test file identified were issues with naming of armature and
skeleton, armature being exported with a new empty as a root object,
armature exported with world based matrix, all local transforms are
"applied".. The mesh naming problem the patch is for.. Oh and the
last bone in a chain also has odd rotation issues..

So I'm currently working on getting up to speed with the codebase with
those issues in mind.

Best Wishes,
Domino