[Bf-committers] libredcode

Andrew Hunter andrew at aehunter.net
Mon Feb 20 19:01:39 CET 2012

Speaking here for a moment on a topic that is my profession, not just my
hobby (the way computers and programming are).

Not just just with every new camera. Red optimizes their firmware
constantly to squeak better performance out of their cameras. Jim janard
likes to boast about opening footage shot years ago and it looking as good
as footage shot today.

The majority of Red's 'secret sauce' lies in the sdk and the apps that use
it.

At best, mango could sponsor a reverse engineering of a particular file
format + firmware revision and it would still give sub-optimal results.

More likely, you will end up processing the r3ds in redcine-x pro with the
redlogfilm gamma setting to preserve dynamic range and saving to exr or
tiff and using those as your master files.

Fundamentally, Red is a company that is ideologically at odds with the
principles of the open movie.

Sincerely,

Andrew Hunter