[Bf-committers] Can BGE be relicensed?

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 16:28:26 CET 2012

> I'm not so sure if having a GPL license for the BGE really is wanted. I
> think a lot of users worry about the security of their game project being
> jeopardized due to the licensing on normal desktop platforms, which is
> correct. With the current licensing, I'm pretty sure that you would legally
> have to release any source blend file that you bind with the GPL'd
> BlenderPlayer.

As Campbel said, sharing your source files is not mandatory.

An important point that I feel is being missed here is that developers
are not weirdos who try to hamper
the honest work of game developers in capitalism with their stupid
choice of licences.
There's quite some difference between LGPL and GPL. LGPL allows the
source to be linked to closed code. Some of the developers are
actually not very friendly with this idea, not to mention being
friendly with Apple when it comes to 'walled gardens', monopolies,
patents etc. So combining the two, and proposing a licence change with
an air of "someone has done it, you HAVE to do it too" and with MAYBE
the promise of it then being allowed in the Apple store is not the
best diplomatic move you could do.

Apart from this, for die hard anti-GPL people there's also this:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?130089-BPPlayer-BGE-Security-%281-05b-Win32-Linux64-MacOSX%29