[Bf-committers] could this be useful for blender ? opensubdiv

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:47:02 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Patrick Shirkey
<pshirkey at boosthardware.com>wrote:

> On Tue, August 7, 2012 12:45 pm, joe wrote:
> > I'm not sure I trust the FSF on this; it has a history of exaggerating
> the
> > restrictiveness of the GPL.
>
> That's a very strange thing to say about the FSF.

We have history with them.  At one time, user-written scripts and plugins
were not covered by the GPL; now they supposedly are.  That was a very
unpleasant shock given our user base and the promises we had made to them.
At one point we seriously considered ditching the GPL.

> >  If we want this library, we should consult a
> > lawyer to be sure.
>
> The FSF is pretty much a bunch of Lawyers.

Lawyers who aren't ideological, I mean.

> Then why refer to it? It could be a propaganda site that was built by
> Microsoft to further their agenda.
>
> It is entirely reasonable to trust the FSF about GPL compatibility
> especially when discussing a Microsoft License as theere is a long history
> of M$ sabotaging projects and the last thing Blender needs is to give
> Microsoft an opportunity to scuttle the ship.

I doubt that.