[Bf-committers] could this be useful for blender ? opensubdiv

rsaavedra at ono.com rsaavedra at ono.com
Tue Aug 7 12:34:55 CEST 2012

if it not possible to use the lib, perhaps it would be possible to use
the algorithm in a new implementation in blender.

----Mensaje
original----
De: tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fecha: 07/08/2012 12:25

Para: <bf-committers at blender.org>
Asunto: Re: [Bf-committers] could
this be useful for blender ? opensubdiv

Yes it would be definitly an
option to ask them to release the code
under both licenses. Otherwise
it is sadly incompatible. This is general
problem for the many free
licenses. Even if they have the exact wording
(or same intention), but
use a different name, they are legally
incompatible, - if it is not
stated that the re-user has the right to
publish it under a similar
license. Most of them don't do this, which is
a pain.

Looking at the
two pictures i wonder if it can handle triangles better
then our
current method. The mesh seams to contain quite a lot of them,
while
the result doesn't show the typical wrinkles as the subdivision

modifier in Blender would produce.

Tobias Oelgarte

Am 07.08.2012 09:
01, schrieb Davis Sorenson:
> According to Wikipedia: (
> http://en.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_source#Microsoft_Public_License_.28Ms-PL.29

)
> "According to the Free Software Foundation, it is a free software
license
> but not compatible with the GNU GPL." [1]
>
> So of all the
MS "shared-source" licenses it's the least bad, but still GPL

incompatible. It looks very cool, apparently it's what Pixar uses in

production so I imagine it is quite good. :) I noticed this quote from
them
> on the project site:
> "Feel free to use it and let us know what
you think through the github
> site." [2]
> Maybe it would be worth a
try to contact them and ask them about using a

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ms-pl
> [2] http:
//graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv

48 AM, rsaavedra at ono.com<rsaavedra at ono.com>  wrote:

>> Hi!,
have just seen that pixar has released a parallel subdivision
>> lib as
"open" software and I was wondering if it would be interesting
use it in blender.

>>    http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv
>>

>>    It is
>> released under Microsoft Public License, I haven't read
the clausules
>> of that license and if it is compatible with GPL, I
can guess that it