[Bf-committers] Arabic support in text editing

Majid AL-Dharrab majid at aldharrab.com
Tue Oct 25 16:47:19 CEST 2011

I guess you can't go wrong with harfbuzz-ng on freetype2. After all, that is
what's used to render text in Firefox. libass, the SSA subtitle renderer
used in VLC and MPlayer, has recently started to support complex and bidi
scripts using harfbuzz and fribidi on top of freetype2. That resulted in
very sophisticated rendering of complex texts. Implementing that turned out
to be easier than the developer had thought.

http://ssadev.blogspot.com/2011/05/getting-complex-text-layout-into-libass.html

I hope his experience helps make the issue a bit easier for our Blender
devs. Good luck!