[Bf-committers] New VSE proxies, feedback appreciated

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon May 30 17:39:59 CEST 2011

Hi Peter,

I took a look at the patch, it's quite a lot of code, reviewing all
the indexer code is a bit much, but I'll give some high level
comments.

Am I right that if you don't enable proxies, this patch basically has
no effect? In that case it should be pretty safe to commit before
2.58, but still think this could use some good testing on complex
files.

* Job name in header is "Seq Proxy", maybe name it "Building Proxies"
or something like that?
* On running rebuild proxy, it does not redraw the sequencer header
immediately, makes it unclear if the job has started.
* Do we need the option to disable building time codes for proxies?
All 3 are enabled by default, and it seems like there isn't much
reason not to build them, since you can still afterwards decide to use
them or not.

* Timecode enum: the items here could use descriptions. Also there is
no need to repeat "TC" in the item names, and generally abbreviations
like that should be avoided in the UI. Would just go with "Record
Run", "Free Run", ..
* If timecode options other than Record Run are not supported, I guess
they should not be exposed in the UI?
* These timecode indexes are not used by default, is there a reason for this?
* One thing I don't understand about this is how it can be a proxy
level setting. Doesn't this also affect non-proxy renders and the
length of the strip in the sequencer?

* What happens when you remove a strip while the proxy for it is being
built? Didn't find any checks for that.

Brecht.