[Bf-committers] Some ideas to improve the "Add-Ons" section

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Mon May 23 18:59:59 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Jass <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> --snip--
> - add an API to query (a third party website) for new versions of an
>   addon module, and possibly add a button for retrieving the addon
>   directly from a (third party) download server instead of first
> downloading
>   from the web, then updating. This would fit nicely into the list of
>   buttons: [Wiki], [Bug Report], [Check for Update]

I think I (and others) would be kind of weary of blender being able to
download and install software from random websites.

For customizable persistent settings, addon authors could use
_bpy.user_resource('CONFIG', 'plugin_name') to get a (hopefully)
writeable folder to store settings in.

As a bit of an aside, I think _bpy.user_resource() should throw an
exception instead of returning an invalid path when the folder doesn't
exist so one wouldn't have to test for a valid path after calling the
function.

Dan