[Bf-committers] Camera Guides

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 02:28:13 CEST 2011

Agree they are unrelated (except the case where Camera images could be
made to force foreground and overlay some reference).
I only mentioned it because the topic came up on this thread.

There is still a case for having this feature, Michael and I just
disagree on how it should be done, in fact Ton also disagrees :), he
suggests camera BG images to have a FG option.

Bassam, can you give an example screenshot of how you use this?

Also, anyone can still work on adding camera overlay presets, its a
good beginner task.

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com
<zanqdo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bassam i think the empties thing is totally unrelated, we still have
> to solve the guides thing. I dunno.. i like the current patch a lot, i
> use it every day. Maybe people are over thinking this? In any case if
> fox was working on configurable guides with presets, why did he stop?
>
> Daniel Salazar
> 3Developer.com
>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Bassam Kurdali
> <bkurdali at freefactory.org> wrote:
>> What just happened?
>>
>> I'm guessing the original patch for camera guides got rejected. But it
>> seems people think that bg images for empties is a replacement for it?
>> why is this? And why is it cool to override Empties with a gazillion
>> draw types, but somehow this is bad design for Cameras?
>>
>> If the rationale is 'parent an empty with thirds grid png on it' to the
>> camera, we could already parent a wireframe object to the camera- even
>> easier since you don't also have to go into a paint package, but both
>> suffer from:
>>
>> -a bunch of labor to set  up, then needs to be fiddled with everytime
>> you change the camera or tweak the focal length. and unneeded clutter in
>> your scene.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, the new image empties are nice for reference images
>> for modeling. But: They don't have anything to do with camera
>> composition guides, which are more like the 'titlesafe' overlay already
>> in the camera view options.
>>
>> PS. I hope I don't come across as angry. I'm just amused, and
>> unaffected, since I patched my own copy of blender a long time ago ;)

- Campbell