[Bf-committers] Camera Guides

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat May 7 10:12:06 CEST 2011

2. There is a fundamental difference between Grease Pencil and a composition
> guide IMO. A composition guide encodes a "rule of thumb" regarding
> aesthetics. Most of these rules do not have any free parameters (e.g. rule
> of thirds). Therefore, hardcoding these rules seems acceptable. Grease
> Pencil OTOH is basically of a visual "TODO" list with an infinite number of
> free parameters. Why do you think it is necessary to have a composition
> guide adjustable by python? What is the application of that?

I invented this idea of the Grease Pencil because I wanted to be able to
communicate with my fellow movie project workers in a blend file. I gave the
idea to a dev on irc and he ran with it, making into something way better
than I ever imagined. Changing the camera view is totally different. Having
a way to show the golden rule in the camera view and other such features
seems like a great and easy thing to implement, even my real camera has a
view with thirds to help with composition. I would love to have this simple
feature.

And while we are talking about this sort of subject, I would love to be able
to have a way to set the background image so that it is over or under the
main image as well scaling, rotating and mirroring it as needed. Also being
able to adjust its transparency would be good.

Thanks.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!