[Bf-committers] gsoc and Durian artists wishlists

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:46:41 CEST 2011

on top of that, remember issue on Durian with Hair. I did propose some
papers a while back and talked about it with Daniel who thought there were
good and as I recall not that hard to implement in the actual Blender
structure. (as far as for the phyiscs math stretch stuff :p )

>From my Blender VFX whish list post :

> *This is not directly VFX related but as I understand, you had trouble
> with hair simulation on Sintel. I did talk about it with Daniel Genrich at
> the time, because I think he is the dynamics guru who could nailed this kind
> of thing. So I gave him a few papers to look at which he thoughts were very
> interesting and not very hard to implement, but as I recall it was too late
> to implement at that time and you guys didn’t have enough time to do it or
> even take the risk to test it. But I guess it is not too late for next
> projects.
> **When I was working on face tracking/recognition at Ubisoft, I met
> someone (Basile Audoly <http://www.lmm.jussieu.fr/~audoly/>) working on
> mathematically modeling the dynamics of hair. He gave us a demo which was
> very impressive. And if I’m not mistaking, he has been working for l’oréal
> research after that [image: :)]
> **His program was able to model curly, straight, dry, wet, growing,… hair,
> but also dynamic cutting, all those features model in his research. I have
> personally seen his demo, and I have never seen something so real, see by
> yourself with the video !
> **Here are the papers and videos :
> **Super-Helices for Predicting the Dynamics of Natural Hair*
>
>    - *video*  :
>    http://www.lmm.jussieu.fr/~audoly/research/hair06/HairDVDVideoQT.html
>

>    - *paper*  :
>    http://www.lmm.jussieu.fr/~audoly/research/hair06/BA_hair_siggraph06.pdf
>

>    - *Predicting Natural Hair Shapes by Solving the Statics of Flexible
>    Rods*
>

>    - *paper*  :
>    http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Publications/2005/BAQLLC05/BertailsElectronicFinalEG.pdf
>

>    - *publication*  :
>    http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Publications/2005/BAQLLC05/
>

>    - *video 1*  :
>    http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Publications/2005/BAQLLC05/astaticStrandEG05.mpg
>

>    - *video 2*  :
>    http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Publications/2005/BAQLLC05/fullModellingEG05.mpg
>

>    - *Basile’s Website*  : http://www.lmm.jussieu.fr/~audoly/

if anyone is interested in that, could be cool no ?