[Bf-committers] Mapping and Soft Limits suggestions

ertuqueque ertuqueque at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 03:42:39 CET 2011

The antialiasing example was that, just an example of the uses...

I think there's still practical uses for blurring procedurals...

In a couple of projects I've used procedurals to fake reflections...
e.g.

IMAGE http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3912/embolsa0093.png

VIDEO http://www.box.net/shared/fpsrm5q3sr

In this file I just used a Clouds texture with Cell noise as the Base type,
Add as the Blending mode and Reflection in the Mapping coordinates type. The
problem appeared when I wanted to make this reflections blurry.

Please, don't say that using the Compositor and then blurring the
reflecttions pass is the solution... That's a very annoying work for such a
simple job... And imagine a more complex scene with more materials with
different blur values. You'd have to even work with different layers to
accomplish again such a simple look.

The only practical solution I could find was using a very small cloud map
above the reflection texture with a Warp effect.

The final result is a sort-of-blurred effect but with a grainy look
(obviously)... To reduce the noisy effect you have to play with enabling the
Full OSA on the material and also playing with high sample antialiasing...
But this of course could increase rendertimes enormously in complex scenes.

IMAGE NO-BLUR
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7281/proceduralreflect0076.png

IMAGE BLUR
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8660/proceduralreflectblur00.png

VIDEO NO-BLUR http://www.box.net/shared/v3do40kkkc

VIDEO BLUR  http://www.box.net/shared/d23ik2fhjo

.blend SCENE http://www.box.net/shared/kykpg0mm55

So again... I really really think there are some real uses for
sampling/blurring procedurals.

About the AO and other soft limits, here are a couple of images also that
show the problem with such a low limit for raytraced AO...

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5986/tienda02.png

I'm also aware that with Compositing you can reduce noise with bilateral
blur... But this amount of noise is too much to accomplish acceptable
results, especially in animations... And keep in mind this scene is not even
finished, when all modeling is done, there will be even more objects, gaps,
holes and creases to gather noise.

And if you suggest to use AAO instead... Well, I have to politely say NO
WAY... AAO never gives the amount of realism and detail I need for this
project...

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/425/tienda03c.png

Well... I hope to have made a better case for some of the feedback.
Greets.
tuqueque.